Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wants of Today vs. Wants of Tomorrow

I read the following in Brandon Sanderson's book The Hero of Ages

“A man is what he has passion about, ... I’ve found that if you give up what you want most for what you think you should want more, you’ll just end up miserable.”

Boy, I've thought about this idea a thousand times. It seems that time can ALWAYS be spent "better". From a religion perspective, from a work perspective, from a relationship perspective, from a family perspective, even from a personal perspective. Looking back in time I often wish I had made different choices, or at least considered things differently. The problem, of course, being that I was looking at the past with lenses from the future. So duh, of course I would have seen things differently.

One of my primary goals for this year is to "just stop" We can get so busy and scrambled as we try to do more, a little more, and we keep pushing ourselves. As I "stop" I find more peace and ironically, time to do the stuff I really want to do.

I think therein lies the challenge. What are my wants? They come two fold. What I want to do today and what I want to become. (Let's not argue over the merits of what I want to become, just that there are two forces from within). Often they don't coincide, or at least the things I want today, probably won't lead me to what I want to become.

As I ramble on, I have noticed that as time progresses my wants of today more closely line up with my wants of tomorrow. Perhaps I am achieving my goal, or simply lowering my goal.

Long story short. Work towards something better and enjoy today.

No comments: